Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Great Sophomore Attempt

So now I'm an experienced blogger. One whole blog under my belt, as well as a few followers who feel sorry for me like my blog. Cool. I had a major panic attack today, though, when I realized the precedent I'd set with my first post. I thought to myself, Now everyone will think I'm funny.

Let's get this out in the open here and now. **I am not funny. I repeat, not funny.** I am weird. There's a big difference. It's best for all of us if you internalize that now before you end up disappointed later.

Moving on.

I figured that, now you know the story of my humble entry into the blogging world, I would treat you all to a little autobiography. This may not seem useful (or even interesting) now, but I want to make it easy for kids to Google me for their history papers come Year 2020. I have excellent foresight.

Anywho, I am married (sorry to all the gentlemen out there. I do hope my two Internet stalkers, Melvin and Earl, don't lose interest.) to a great guy named Lord Byron. Okay, I added the "Lord" part, but I thought it would make for a more interesting research paper for those history students. He's thoroughly wonderful and thoroughly geeky. We'll go into the reasons why he's geeky at a later time. And as a side note, I prefer the term "nerdy"--but Byron told me in no uncertain terms that there's a difference of cosmic proportions between "geeks" and "nerds." Apparently to mix them up means instant death by decapitation.

For the last few years I've worked at a great Christian publishing house here in town. I was most recently an editor. That's just a fancy way of saying, "I can write much better than you." I have been referred to--lovingly, I assume--as an "edi-turd" on a few occasions. However, I'm guessing that Kevin the person-who-shall-not-be-named was merely jealous of my superior writing skills.

My editing days are not quite over, but lately my job has morphed and congealed into coordinating constituents who will rally behind our conglomerate and thereby assess our vendibles, wherefore by which assessments we shall implement needed changes that will make our output top-notch. In other words, I am the Beta Liaison. In OTHER other words, I get to choose a group of churches who will test our new Sunday School curriculum line and provide feedback that we'll use to make changes and enhancements. It's the bomb-diggity, and I like it.

Like most people, I have two parents. You might think they believe in tough love (judging by my mother's doubtful comment to my very first blog ... all I ever wanted was your approval, momma!!), but they're actually pretty cool. They live around here, and they haven't yet gotten annoying enough that the hubby and I hide behind furniture when they ring our doorbell. I have three sisters too, and it's probably best not to ask about that. I grew up in an atmosphere of estrogen overload, so I am on a strict regimen of one Keanu Reeves movie a day to get rid of the excess emotions I was subjected to during my formative years.

That's really all I have to say about that. You might think that my life isn't really very interesting, but the truth is that I need to make it a little more difficult for students to write their papers. I'm sure their teachers will require multiple sources.

All right, friends, I'm going to sign off now and go watch The Matrix.

9 comments:

  1. 1) What if I happen think you're both funny and weird?

    2) I can't believe you grew up with all girl siblings and you aren't obsessed with "Little Women" at all. I mean, hello, it's a story about 4 sisters...

    3) Perhaps you should specify which Keanu Reeves movies you are watching because if it's "A Walk in the Clouds" or "The Lake House" you might not be doing yourself any favors. Then again, perhaps those are the only Keanu Reeves movies that pop into my mind besides (insert sarcastic voice here) something called "The Matrix" I think it was...? and I'm probably not doing myself any favors by watching those sappy movies myself.

    Wonderful sophomore post!

    "Two very excellent thumbs up!" - Travis, from "Clueless"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becca....you are funny AND weird but more weird than funny. Oops, sorry. Guess the parental lack of approval continues on....LOL! You know I love AND approve of you! Also, because of that 30+ years of estrogen overload, I think I need to start my own blog for therapy's sake....no, change that. Your DAD needs to start HIS own blog....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment!

    Also, tell Earl and Melvin they can start stalking me instead. I'm single.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, I don't know if you want them as stalkers...well, not Earl, at least. You probably would prefer someone with a full set of teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you're weird or funny (in your writing, weird in person is another matter), I prefer to use the term witty. And apparently I was the first to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Mike....I think.;) Unfortunately, more people have voted...but for some stupid reason it's not actually keeping any of the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomasaurs Johneriffic BurkeystoneJuly 22, 2010 at 3:31 PM

    Weird is funny to me. It's the normal people that scare the big, bad, brown stuff out of me.

    And when you told me before that you were the Beta Liaison, I thought that meant you converted a dying videotape format to digital. Oops.

    PS: there is delicious irony in saying you have to sign off on your computer to watch a movie about plugging into a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always said you were weird. ;) But I find your kind of weirdness rather funny... amusing to say the least!

    ReplyDelete